Monday, April 11, 2011

Endochrinologist Appointment

Today I FINALLY had my first endochrinologist appointment since being officially diagnosed with Type 1.5 Diabetes. Visiting with the doctor has made me feel alot better especially since the doctor was able to really answer so many of my questions. I think I am starting to get used to being diabetic, but after my doctor's appointment today there is still alot that is going to have to change in order for me to get complete control over this disease and to get my blood sugars to go down. I was encouraged by some during today's appointment, for example finding out that my doctor doesn't want me to lose a bunch of weight like I thought he was wanting me to do. Also very encouraged to hear that at some point after getting everything under control with my blood sugars, I will be able to eat some fruit, just in very controlled moderation. As of right now my diet to keep my blood sugars under control consists of meat, vegetables, some whole grains, cheese, nuts, and thats pretty much it. I have cut off most all carbs, refined sugar products, refined white flour products, fruit. I also try and limit my carb intake to about 30-45 grams of carbs per day. One big change the doctor did decide to make today was have me stop taking my Metformin twice a day like I had been doing for the last month or so and started me on a new medication called Janumet. The new medication, Janumet is a new combination drug for diabetes of sitaglipitin and metformin. I will be on this new medication for the next month or two unless I encounter problems that my body isn't working well with this particular medicine. I also have be keeping track of my blood sugar numbers which I already am doing and send my numbers for the week in about once a week so that my doctor knows where I stand. I was very pleased that my weight and blood pressure were very well along with my standard diabetic exam to check for any progression or complications. I was very happy to know that I don't at this point have to be on insulin shots, he did though tell me if at any time soon or in the future that I do become pregnant I will not be able to take this new medication, but will be able to take Metformin and will have to take insulin shots throughout the pregnancy along with extra careful monitoring. Overall I felt good about my first appointment with my endochrinologist and feel comfortable with where I stand with my diabetes and the changes that have to be made so that it is under control and my numbers are where my doctor and I want them. Now that is one appointment down and two more to go so far this week. I guess you can't be dealing with medical issues without having some kind of medical insurance problems to figure out. I am supposed to be talking with the doctor's office early tomorrow morning to finish figuring all this out so my other two appointments this week can still happen. I have my mri and eeg tests on wednesday as long the insurance stuff goes as planned. And lastly have to neurologist appointment on thursday at 12:30 in Brownwood so we will see how it all goes. I'll be updating about everything going on this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment